Hopefully this is the first installment in a series of not too long posts describing what I do.
I’ve started this with week sub one. This may seem odd but the plan is that my new position should start at Landcare Research on the first of October. So the end of September has been spent mostly doing all the things that I imagine everyone does on their first week no matter where or what the job.
Induction. Finding out where everything is. Who everyone is. Signing things. Getting keys. Packing/Unpacking/rearranging books, furniture and in my case a surprising number of pens and notebooks (this will not be surprising to anyone who has seen my office or shared an office with me in the past). I reckon I might have found about a third of my books so far – the rest are still in moving boxes in the spare room. As an aside every time we have moved the movers have complained about the volume and weight of books. In my defense I have very few rusty cars and a limited selection of clothes.
Luckily for me this was achieved in a very efficient and friendly manner. I must say so far I’m loving being at Landcare – everyone is very friendly and helpful and the tearoom discussions are lively and a nice mix of America’s cup (OMG if they choke now it’s going to be the worst choke in history)* and science (a mixture of Science and policy). There’s coffee (two pots at 10.15) and a nice picnic garden if the weather seems fine. Also amazingly I actually managed to get a bit of actual work done last week.
Monday I was back on as Associate Editor for my favorite journal Methods in Ecology and Evolution (MEE). I’ve been traveling for most of the last month so the very nice folk there gave me a bit of a holiday. But thanks to twitter they knew I was back. Luckily I had a really nice manuscript to deal with – by which I mean nothing about the paper itself except that it was one of the those papers where you take one look at it and immediately know who would be a great set of reviewers for that particular paper. So Monday morning saw three invites to three reviewers sent out. Number One agreed almost immediately (YEAHHH). Number two never got back to me and I realized on Saturday I’d sent it to a different person with the same name but a different email address; I rectified this first thing this morning (Monday) and they’ve agreed to review. Number three hasn’t got back to me. I’ll give it another couple of days.
I also somewhat rashly agreed to review two other papers – one for a sibling “Journal of Applied Ecology” and one for the competition “Biological Conservation“. I’m never really sure what the appropriate number of reviews that one should do a year is. Except I feel strongly
Cory Prof. Corey Bradshaw (over at Conservation Bytes) should definitely be doing more for why see here. I also know I’m going to busy with visitors and field work over summer and I won’t feel so bad saying no if I’ve got a few under my belt in the mean time. Hopefully I can fit them in on Wednesday afternoon.
Thursday was put aside for discussion and sorting out the ins and outs of how my contract would work here at Landcare – this was surprisingly uneventful. Everything was agreed in a very efficient, friendly (one might almost say collegial), and professional manner which left some time to discuss the science to come.
Wish me luck everyone…
*note I started writing this blog post before they did in fact choke
Edit (14.03.2014): Corrected Cory to Prof. Corey Bradshaw.